HOW TO PARTICIPATE IN THE #OHIOCANPLAY CAMPAIGN
What are these bills?: In Ohio, lawmakers are attempting to pass the misleadingly named, “Save Women’s Sports Act” (House Bill 61 and Senate Bill 132). The bill would ban transgender athletes from competing on the team in alignment with their gender identity in both high school and college sports, and is just one more way LGBTQ+ youth are being demonized by politicians at the statehouse.
We’re asking you to record a video, up to 1 minute long, telling us about your positive experiences with youth sports in Ohio. You can talk about their importance to your own life or simply a statement stating why you support transgender athletes in Ohio sports. You can do this as an individual, family, group of friends, or organization. Just make sure it’s under a minute!
Steps for Video Submission:
- Fill out the Media Release form here and return it to [email protected]
- Once we confirm your form, upload your final video to google drive or dropbox and send it back to us ([email protected])
- Participate in the #OhioCanPlay campaign on social media by posting your video online with the #OhioCanPlay hashtag!
- Have questions? Contact Kathryn Poe, [email protected]
Tips for Recording Your Video Testimony:
- Take 10-15 minutes to write out your testimony/what you’re going to say. Feel free to use the sample script below as your guide. You don’t have to read from a script but the video should include complete thoughts.
- In the video, please say your name, pronouns, and where in Ohio you are from.
- Film in a quiet setting with good lighting. We want to be able to see and hear you clearly. .
- Take the video horizontally NOT vertically, so that we can adjust it for all social media platforms.
- Speak from the heart. Make it real. People want to hear your honest story and perspective.
Hi, my name is (your name), my pronouns are (xx/xx) and I…
- Am a student athlete in Ohio
- Am the parent of a youth athlete in Ohio
- Am a (position) on (sports team)
Answer ONE of the following questions (Restate the question in your answer).
- What makes a great athlete?
- Someone who is dedicated to the game
- Someone who works well with other people
- Someone who is smart and thinks strategically
- What do/did you love most about playing youth sports?
- My favorite coach who taught me…
- Challenging myself to…
- Spending Saturday mornings with my friends…
- A team supports each other on and off the field
- Each individual brings something unique to the team and everyone belongs on the playing field
- Inspires new people to play, shows the integrity and collaboration we want to see in society
- What do you love most about watching your kid(s) play sports?
- I love watching my kid become a leader on the field
- Watching my kid overcome adversity during a high stakes match
Add a conclusion sentence
- Sports shape kids’ lives in such profoundly important ways
- Let’s make sure every kid in Ohio gets the opportunity to be part of a team
- Let’s make sure every kid in Ohio gets the chance to build character, and learn the importance of teamwork
- The thing about trans kids is that… they’re kids! Kids belong in Ohio sports
End with: We want to make sure lawmakers know that #OhioCanPlay.