Overview of Role:
This staff position supports Equality Ohio and Equality Ohio Education Fund’s (hereafter known as “Equality Ohio” or “EO”) mission by directing strategic message development and implementation, polling and research, media relations, e-marketing, web-based content development and other projects. The Communications Manager reports to the Director of Development & External Relations, and works closely with the Directors from EO departments including Field, Development, Policy, Chroma Consulting, and Legal Clinic.
November 2, 2004, was a turning point for Ohio’s LGBTQ+ community. In spite of the efforts of thousands of community members and allies, ⅔ of Ohio’s voters passed a measure limiting our legal rights in the state we call home. We were devastated.
Across the state, political insiders, grassroots activists, and everyday Ohioans who had never before been politically engaged, all reached the same conclusion: something new, something strategic, had to be done to protect our communities and one another. In 2005, sixty-five people, diverse in gender, race, religion, and region of Ohio, answered the call and gathered in the basement of a church in Columbus. After two long days, one vision emerged: an Ohio that everyone can call home. Equality Ohio (a 501c4 organization) and Equality Ohio Education Fund (a 501c3 organization) were born.
In the years since, Equality Ohio has changed hearts, minds and laws in service of creating an Ohio where people are welcome, affirmed and flourishing.
Our Mission: Equality Ohio identifies and transforms systems and institutions so LGBTQ+ Ohioans can fully access legal and lived equality.
Our Vision: An Ohio where people are welcome, affirmed and flourishing.
- Be fluent in issues facing the LGBTQ+ community and have an exceptional commitment to LGBTQ+ communities
- Be able to manage themselves and others by setting and achieving goals
- Superior communication skills
- Ability to use independent judgement in accordance with organizational priorities
- Knowledge of media channels, both traditional and digital
- Be able to manage some communications support vendors independently
- Be competent in working with diverse groups in an intersectional manner and across all levels of organizations with a commitment to building positive collaboration
- Understanding of Adobe Creative Suite or similar, professional-grade design software
- Working knowledge of web publishing (e.g., HTML, WordPress, etc.)
- Skills with consumer-relationship management (CRM) tools, content management systems (CMS), email list management (e.g., EveryAction, MailChimp, Salesforce, Raiser’s Edge)
- Experience managing branded social media content and an understanding/ability to learn social media advertising
- Relationships or the ability to quickly build relationship with Ohio reporters and media outlets
- Understanding of Equality Ohio’s theory of change (why we do the work we do) and willingness to operate and build relationships between different theories of change in a movement ecosystem
- Be able to produce branded copy and content as well as proofread and edit
- Willingness to work some evenings and weekends
- Access to reliable transportation and willingness to travel at times for events, team meetings, etc.
- Ability and willingness to collaborate with staff on organizational strategy
- Have a working knowledge of design for screen and print, including paper types, envelope sizes, working with images
- Experience with or willingness to learn social media advertising
- Willingness to use/learn innovative design and web publishing for rich, varied and embedded content (e.g., see publishing techniques for Elected Official Scorecard)
- Ability to manage scheduling and publish content from multiple campaigns, pushes and Equality Ohio departments while maintaining messaging coherence
- Understanding of or ability to learn Cision’s media database for story pitching
- Ability to teach and train community members on talking points and consult on campaigns ranging from legal advocacy to statewide campaigns for the needs of LGBTQ+ Ohioans
- Design print and graphics as requested for Equality Ohio departments, including advocacy, fundraising and more
- Write copy on a variety of issues related to LGBTQ+ advocacy, racial and gender justice
- Develop and maintain relationships with diverse vendors and manage production of materials by outside vendors
- Use WordPress to maintain website, add new content
- Use EveryAction to maintain email list, perform data hygiene, analyze audience, and tailor messages and campaigns
- Research and implement integrations into existing Equality Ohio systems (e.g., Monday, Slack, etc.) to report on and knowledge share current communications integrations across departments and channels to create a communications overview (a “posts dashboard” or other quick-glance overview)
- Create and execute communications plans in partnership with Executive Director and Directors of departments, ensuring that work-plans are in sync with Development, Field, Chroma Consulting, Policy and Legal Clinic plans and overall organizational strategic plan
- Establish and maintain relationships with national, state and local partners
- Create and maintain library of talking points tailored to audience and locality on a variety of current LGBTQ+ issues
- Evaluate messages and communications for cross-movement impact and internal coherence to vision, mission
- Implement and document communication strategies as assigned
- Responsively and proactively manage social media
- Run advertisements as assigned
- Provide training and support for staff and community on media
- Pitch and place stories with Ohio and, at times, national media sources
- Stay up to date on latest communications strategies, technology, and tools
Application Submission Guidelines
Please submit to email@example.com:
- Cover letter
- Work samples consisting of 2 writing examples, 2 screen designs (such as images for social media posts), and 1 designed item meant to be printed
Salary Range: $40,000 – $45,000 with medical (with Flexible Spending Account), vision, life, and dental insurance options, paid time off and non-matching investment account access
People of color, LGBTQ people, and those with gender-expansive identities are strongly encouraged to apply.