Position Description: SouthWest Ohio Staff Attorney
Date Posted: April 28, 2022
Position Reports to: Legal Director
Overview of Role
Equality Ohio Education Fund (EOEF) is seeking a Staff Attorney for the Equality Ohio Legal
Clinic to provide direct representation to LGBTQ+ Ohioans with incomes at or below 300% of
the federal poverty level. The person in this role will be responsible for providing civil legal
assistance in the SouthWestern Ohio region as well as community support in accordance with
the Legal Clinic’s community lawyering model. This role is a great fit for a high-energy litigator
with a passion for correcting systemic injustice at the micro level and a deep understanding of
This position is based in Equality Ohio’s Cincinnati office. The role will include regular
travel within the SouthWestern Ohio region and occasionally to other parts of Ohio.
November 2, 2004, was a turning point for Ohio’s LGBTQ+ community. In spite of the efforts of
thousands of community members and allies, ⅔ of Ohio’s voters passed a measure limiting our
legal rights in the state we call home. We were devastated.
Across the state, political insiders, grassroots activists, and everyday Ohioans who had never
before been politically engaged, all reached the same conclusion: something new, something
strategic, had to be done to protect our communities and one another. In 2005, sixty-five people,
diverse in gender, race, religion, and region of Ohio, answered the call and gathered in the
basement of a church in Columbus. After two long days, one vision emerged: an Ohio that
everyone can call home. Equality Ohio (a 501c4 organization) and Equality Ohio Education
Fund (a 501c3 organization) were born.
In the years since, Equality Ohio has changed hearts, minds and laws in service of creating an
Ohio where people are welcome, affirmed and flourishing.
Our Mission: Equality Ohio identifies and transforms systems and institutions so LGBTQ+
Ohioans can fully access legal and lived equality.
Our Vision: An Ohio where people are welcome, affirmed, and flourishing.
● Provide direct representation in family law and Marsy’s Law matters;
● Provide direct representation in additional civil areas of law including, but not limited
to: landlord-tenant disputes, discrimination mediation, social security/insurance appeals,
and name & gender marker changes;
● Conduct email, telephonic, and in-person intake for individuals needing legal assistance
● Assist in the referral and follow-up of referrals to outside social service agencies and
other attorneys as appropriate;
● Update and maintain referral database of LGBTQ+ affirming counselors, organizations,
and agencies in the region;
● Develop and maintain relationships with LGBTQ+ and ally attorneys, legal-serving
organizations, and LGBTQ+-serving organizations;
● Create and update LGBTQ+ legal education print and multimedia materials;
● Organize regular legal education workshops across the region;
● Develop legal education content for community outreach vial social media and blog;
● Other duties as assigned.
● Licensed Attorney in the state of Ohio in good standing
● 3-5 years of trial experience in family law matters
● Demonstrated familiarity and comfort working with the LGBTQ+ community
● Demonstrated passion for public interest and social justice work
● Excellent oral, written and listening communication skills
● Ability to work with diverse groups in an intersectional manner and across all levels of
organizations with a commitment to teamwork
● Effective public speaking and presentation skills
● Demonstrated reliability, creativity, versatility, and initiative
● Proficiency with Office (Microsoft Word, Excel, Access, PowerPoint, Outlook), Google
Drive, and LexisNexis/Westlaw or other legal research software
● Have a valid driver’s license and regular access to a vehicle with insurance, as this
position requires ongoing travel to courts across Ohio
Salary Range: $65,000 – 70,000 with medical (with Flexible Spending Account), vision,
life, and dental insurance options, paid time off and non-matching investment account access
Estimated Date to Hire: June 1, 2022
Application Submission Guidelines
Please submit to [email protected]:
● Cover letter
**Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to
submit their materials as early as possible.
A Note to BIPOC Candidates:
Studies have shown that women, non-binary folks, and People of Color are less likely to apply
for jobs unless they believe they meet every single one of the qualifications as described in a job
description. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization, and we are most
interested in finding the best candidate for the job. That candidate may be one who comes from a
background less traditional to our field of work, and that’s okay. We would strongly encourage
you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications described.
People of color, LGBTQ people, and those with gender-expansive identities are strongly
encouraged to apply.
Email: [email protected]