Date Posted: December 1, 2022
Position Type: Full-time, salary, exempt
Position Reports to: Deputy Director
Overview of the role:
To continue our work in Northeast Ohio, Equality Ohio Education Fund (EOEF) seeks a full-time Northeast Ohio Regional Field Organizer devoted to strengthening existing organizational and individual relationships across the region and guiding the development of new ones. The person in this role will lead Equality Ohio’s organizing work in the region, acting as a facilitator, convenor, and resource for community leaders, advocates, and organizations. The Northeast Ohio Regional Field Organizer is a member of the Field Team and works closely with the Statewide Field Manager and Central Ohio and Southwest Ohio Regional Field Organizers to develop comprehensive strategies and campaigns.
This position is based in Equality Ohio’s Cleveland office. The role will include regular travel within the state of Ohio, primarily the northeast region, to support mobilizing, organizing, advocacy, and organizational efforts.
November 2, 2004, was a turning point for Ohio’s LGBTQ+ community. In spite of the efforts of thousands of community members and allies, 2⁄3 of Ohio’s voters passed a measure limiting our legal rights in the state we call home. We were devastated.
Across the state, political insiders, grassroots activists, and everyday Ohioans who had never before been politically engaged, all reached the same conclusion: something new, something strategic, had to be done to protect our communities and one another. In 2005, sixty-five people, diverse in gender, race, religion, and region of Ohio, answered the call and gathered in the basement of a church in Columbus. After two long days, one vision emerged: an Ohio that everyone can call home. Equality Ohio (a 501c4 organization) and Equality Ohio Education Fund (a 501c3 organization) were born.
In the years since, Equality Ohio has changed hearts, minds and laws in service of creating an Ohio where people are welcome, affirmed and flourishing.
Our Mission: Equality Ohio identifies and transforms systems and institutions so LGBTQ+ Ohioans can fully access legal and lived equality.
Our Vision: An Ohio where people are welcome, affirmed, and flourishing.
Duties and Responsibilities:
● Identify, Engage with, and Impact Systems: Identify opportunities to engage with municipalities, government agencies, and local organizations in the region to incorporate LGBTQ+ equality and principles of racial justice into their laws, policies, and practices.
● Identify and Support Leaders and Advocates: Recruit, educate, mentor, and empower community members to advocate for lived and legal equality in Northeast Ohio. In collaboration with other Regional Organizers and the Statewide Field Manager, build a network of resources and community leaders within the Ohio LGBTQ+ community.
● Collaborate with Ally Organizations: Work in partnership with allied organizations on projects and campaigns to build authentic relationships and coalition solidarity that empower LGBTQ+ equality.
● Convene and Facilitate: Seek out and coordinate input on key policy strategies among community leaders, elected officials, LGBTQ+ organizations, and other stakeholders to advance LGBTQ-inclusive policies at the local and state level;
● Other duties as assigned.
● Familiarity and fluency with issues facing the LGBTQ+ community, particularly in Northeast Ohio
● Demonstrated passion for public interest and social justice work with a particular passion for the mission of Equality Ohio
● Familiarity with Race Equity and its relationship to the LGBTQ+ community and experience utilizing a Race Equity approach in organizing
● Two or more years of professional or volunteer experience in community organizing, legislative work, or electoral work
● Experience representing organizations, issues, or candidates in public spaces
● Outstanding communication skills
● Comfortable working in and with faith communities
● Skilled in community networking and relationship building
● Have availability to work evenings and weekends
● Be willing to travel and have a valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle
● Experience working with local, regional, and national community partners, particularly in coalition spaces, and ability to navigate challenging inter and intra community relationships
● One or more years of experience with a development or constituent relationship management system (Salesforce, EveryAction, etc)
Salary Range: $40,000+ with medical (with Flexible Spending Account), vision, life, and dental insurance options, paid time off and non-matching investment account access
Estimated Date to Hire: February 1, 202
Application Submission Guidelines
Please submit to [email protected]:
● Cover letter (required)
● Resume (required)
**Applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. Candidates are encouraged to submit their materials as early as possible.
**Why a cover letter? Equality Ohio’s work is grounded in relationships. Every Equality Ohio staff member is in some way working to create, nurture, heal, and expand relationships with the community. One of the best ways we have found to build relationships is to tell and hear personal stories. Your cover letter is our first conversation and your opportunity to provide context for your resume by sharing the professional and lived experiences that have led you to apply for this position.
A Note to BIPOC Candidates:
Studies have shown that women, non-binary folks, and People of Color are less likely to apply for jobs unless they believe they meet every single one of the qualifications as described in a job description. We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization, and we are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. That candidate may be one who comes from a background less traditional to our field of work, and that’s okay. We would strongly encourage you to apply, even if you don’t believe you meet every one of the qualifications described.
People of color, LGBTQ+ people, and those with gender-expansive identities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Email: [email protected] Website: www.equalityohio.org